To take an online certification you must be able to meet the following requirements:
- You must have a stable broadband internet connection.
- You must be able to download and install the Respondus LockDown Browser on your computer. Respondus LockDown Browser is an application installed to your computer.
- You must have a functional webcam that supports Respondus Monitor.
You should also ensure that:
- You perform the exam from a Desktop or Laptop device. The exam is not supported on tablets or phones.
- The Operating System on your computer should be Windows 7, 8, or 10 (Windows 10S is not a compatible operating system) or Mac OS X 10.12 or higher.
- You should have a minimum 2GB Memory (RAM) and 200MB of Hard Drive space available on your device.
More information about Respondus LockDown Browser and Respondus Monitor and their use in the AASHTO TSP2 Certification Exam process is available through the following video: https://web.respondus.com/LockDownbrowser-student-video/
Note: You should only install the version of Respondus LockDown Browser contained in these instructions (it is properly configured for use in D2L) and not the software available from the Respondus website.
Accessing D2L Training Material and the Online Certification Exam
You must create a Michigan State University Guest Account in order to review training material or take the online certification exam. Steps 1 and 2 below only need to be performed once. Afterwards, users may proceed directly to Step 3 for all future visits. If you have already taken the online training material and would like to schedule an exam, please proceed to the Registering for an Online Certification Exam section of these instructions.
- Click the following link or in your browser’s URL field enter: https://tech.msu.edu/msu-guest-account/
- Complete Part 1 and Part 2 of registration instructions shown on the webpage. Part 3 is not required.
To reset your password, visit https://auth.msu.edu/. Beneath the sign in button, click on the “Need help signing in?” link and then click “Forgot password?”.
If you have any difficulties with registration, you may also call the MSU Help Desk toll-free at 844-678-6200.
Register for Training Material
- Click the following link or in your browser’s URL field enter:
- Login using your email address and the password you created in Step 1.
- Click on the “Register this attendee” link on the bottom.
- Check to make sure your email is correct and click “Checkout”.
- Fill in your billing address (since the training material is free you will not be charged) then click “Continue Checkout”.
- Check to make sure your information is correct and click “Submit Payment”.
Login to D2L (Desire2Learn)
- In your browser’s URL field enter: http://D2L.msu.edu
- Click “Login” on the upper left side of the screen and use your email address and the password you created in Step 1.
- You will be on your My Home page.
- Under the My Courses list, click on “Pavement Preservation Web-Based Training Courses.”
- If you wish to review training material, on the left side of the page under the Table of Contents, click on the name of the training course you wish to complete.
- Click the Participant Information Form Link to begin the training.
Registering for an Online Certification Exam
- Visit tsp2.org/register and select the TSP2 Online Certification Exam option.
- Complete your contact information and select the exam(s) you wish to register for.
- There is a choice of two standard monthly testing dates:
- The first Friday of the month
- The third Thursday of the month
Other testing dates may be offered for specific events during the year. If available, these dates will be listed on the registration page. If registering for a standard monthly test date, please only register to take an exam within 30 days. If taking an exam on a standard monthly test date more than 30 days in the future, please return to the registration page and complete your registration when the exam is less than 30 days in the future. Registrations must be made no less than 2 days before the exam date (for Friday exams no later than 11:59 pm Wednesday, for Thursday exams no later than 11:59 pm Tuesday). This allows the exam administrator time to set up your exam. You must also complete the requirements of Steps 1 and 2 of the Accessing D2L Training Material and the Online Certification Exam section of the instructions (shown above) prior to the registration deadline.
- If paying by check, you will not be able to sit for the exam until payment has been received. You will be notified by email when your check has been received.
Day of the Exam
- The exam window is open from 8AM-8PM Eastern Time. The exam(s) will only be visible to you in D2L during this time. Once the exam window has arrived, you can start the exam any time between these hours. The exam window only refers to the time during which the exam must be started, the exam can be completed and submitted after the exam window has closed.
- To find the exam, click on the Quizzes tab at the top of the screen.
- Select the exam you intend to complete under the heading “Current Quizzes”. All certification exams are labeled as “AASHTO TSP2 Certification Exam” and should not be confused with web-based training knowledge checks which may appear under this heading as well.
- If you do not have the latest version of LockDown Browser installed on your device, you will be prompted to download it. To ensure that it downloads properly, verify that your network and antivirus software are allowing the program to download. If you’ve previously used LockDown Browser, select “Launch”.
- On Windows 10 there will be an on-screen prompt after opening the installer. Select “Yes” to allow the program to download to your device. Follow the prompts on the screen to complete the installation.
- Once the program has downloaded, click the button to launch the LockDown Browser.
- You will receive a pop-up asking you to verify that you want to open LockDown Browser. Before pressing the button to proceed, you will need to close out all applications that are open on your computer such as internet browser or email. If you press the button to open LockDown Browser and any other programs are running, you will get a notification message from LockDown Browser that gives you the option to either exit LockDown Browser or close the program.
- Once LockDown Browser has opened, you will see a screen like shown below with a button at the bottom to start the quiz.
The first step within LockDown Browser is to set up the Respondus Monitor webcam that will monitor you throughout the exam. Respondus Monitor has a startup sequence which will guide you through each step including webcam check, facial detection, and environment check where you will need to take your webcam and scan your work area to provide proof of your testing environment. You are expected to tilt/pan your camera around your desk as shown in the demonstration video. During the environment check and the exam, your work area must be free of papers, notebooks, cellphones, tablets, secondary computers or any test taking aides. This is a closed book, closed note exam and use of these materials is prohibited.
- Once you have passed the Respondus Monitor startup sequence you are ready to take the exam. The exam itself consists of 50-80 questions in true/false and multiple choice format. Each exam has a 2-hour timer and if the time expires you will no longer be able to answer any questions. The allotted time should allow you ample time to finish the exam. The exam is set up so that you will not be able to go back to previously answered questions, so once each question has been answered it is considered your final answer. Do not click the submit button until all questions in the exam have been answered and you are ready to submit the exam for grading.
- If there are any problems with the LockDown Browser and you are forced to close the application, you will be able to re-open the quiz by following step 6 as long as you are still within the exam window. Each closure will be logged by the system.
- Once completed, even if your exam has timed out, you must submit the exam to close the LockDown Browser and submit your exam for grading.
Code of Conduct
- You are expected to complete the exam in one continuous session, free of disruption or distraction. Please make every effort to ensure that you take the exam at a time when such disruptions are at a minimum.
- During the exam you must remain at your computer without the use or help of testing aids such as papers, notebooks, cellphones, electronic devices, other the help of any other individual(s). These aids should be turned off or put away. This is a closed book, closed note exam.
- Do not obstruct the view of the webcam or turn the webcam away from your face. This may cause the Respondus Monitor software to flag or terminate your exam.
- Do not engage in any action which attempts to undermine the integrity of the certification exam.
- The Administrator of the AASHTO TSP2 Certification Program reserves the right to deny certification and/or restrict participation in the certification program to individuals who do not follow the code of conduct.
- You are strongly encouraged (but not required) to study the web-based training content in D2L prior to taking an exam.
- All exam fees are considered non-refundable once the examinee opens the exam and begins an attempt.
- If more than one exam is taken on the same day, the exams can be completed in any order and can be started at any time that falls within the testing window.
- Results of the exam should be available approximately 2 weeks after your test date. For individuals who pass the exam, a certification card will be mailed to you shortly thereafter as proof of your valid certification. You will also be entered into a searchable database on the TSP2 website at www.tsp2.org/certification-information/certification/.