- Moving Ahead for Progress in the 21st Century (MAP-21) reauthorizes the Federal-aid highway program at the Congressional Budget Office’s baseline level—equal to current funding levels plus inflation—for two fiscal years.
- MAP-21 consolidates the number of Federal programs by two-thirds, from about 90 programs down to less than 30, to focus resources on key national goals and reduce duplicative programs.
- Eliminates earmarks.
- Expedites project delivery while protecting the environment.
- Creates a new title called “America Fast Forward,” which strengthens the Transportation Infrastructure Finance and Innovation Program (TIFIA) program to leverage federal dollars further than they have been stretched before.
- Consolidates certain programs into a focused freight program to improve the movement of goods.
The Coordinated Border Infrastructure (CBI) Program eligibility is part of the Surface transportation Program. Although in FY 2013 and FY 2014, there will be no specific funds for the CBI program, if a state so decides, it may spend funds on CBI-type projects from its STP. Also, FHWA has developed and made available an official PowerPoint presentation on the subject.
Further information is available at the Official FHWA website.