TRB’s second Strategic Highway Research Program (SHRP 2) has launched the NDToolbox—a web-based electronic repository of nondestructive testing (NDT) techniques. Information in the repository includes summaries of NDT technologies; documentation for recommended test procedures, protocols, and available standards and guidelines; samples of data output and guidance on interpreting and presenting results; and equipment features (including cost, availability and specifications).
The NDToolbox includes NDT techniques that address the following:
• Evaluating concrete bridge decks;
• Using field spectroscopy devices to fingerprint commonly used construction materials;
• Gathering uniformity measurements on new hot-mix asphalt (HMA) layers;
• Identifying delaminations between HMA layers;
• Conducting real-time smoothness measurements on portland cement concrete;
• Continuous deflection pavement measuring; and
• Mapping voids, debonding, delaminations, moisture, and other defects behind or within tunnel linings.
To learn more about the NDToolbox, read SHRP 2 Report S2-R06A-RR-1: Nondestructive Testing to Identify Concrete Bridge Deck Deterioration.