AASHTO Journal, 24 October 2014
The Federal Highway Administration and AASHTO will use a series of free December webinars to help spread the word about financial and technical resources that will be available in January for four solutions under the second Strategic Highway Research Program (SHRP2).
The webinars are designed to make sure state transportation departments and other agencies have a clear understanding of the SHRP2 products and how they can fit into state or local programs. State DOTs, metropolitan planning organizations, local public agencies and tribal agencies are all invited to participate in these events, dates of which are listed below.
The formal application process for Implementation Assistance Program Round 5 products will begin Jan. 16 and close Feb. 13. These products address several key issues:
- Strategies to improve coordination and agreements between railroads and public agencies (Railroad-DOT Mitigation Strategies). This includes model agreements for construction flagging, right-of-entry and safety device installation, plus others.
- Technologies to identify and archive where utilities are located in the public right-of-way. (3D Utility Location Data Repository)
- Performance measures that focus on outcomes rather than methods, which in turn can motivate contractors to find better ways to accelerate project delivery, minimize disruption and build better projects. (Performance Specifications for Rapid Renewal)
- Case studies and step-by-step guidance to determine when and how to consider performance measures – visioning, greenhouse gas emissions, public-private partnerships and freight movement – during transportation planning, programming, and the decision-making processes. (Planning Process Bundle)
Here are the webinar schedules and links to registration. You can also bookmark that information from the SHRP2 Solutions site.
- First up is the session on 3D Utility Location Data Repository (R01A). 3D modeling helps agencies design optimum transportation solutions. It will be Friday, Dec. 5, 2:00 to 3:30 p.m. EST (Register here)
- Two of them will be at different times on the same day. The Planning Process Bundle (C02/08/09/12/15), looking at planning tools for collaborative decision-making success. That event is Thursday, Dec. 11, at 11 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. EST (Register here)
- Railroad-DOT Mitigation Strategies (R16). It covers model agreements to improve coordination between transportation agencies and railroads. That will also be on Dec. 11, at 2:00 to 3:30 p.m. EST (Register here)
- Performance Specifications for Rapid Renewal (R07). Performance specifications can speed construction, reduce oversight and encourage innovative approaches. Its webinar is Friday, Dec. 12, 11 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. EST (Register here)